Texas Sen. Wendy Davis (D) may have made national headlines for her 12-hour filibuster to block sweeping restrictions on abortion, but her star has only begun to rise. The lawmaker from Fort Worth, Texas may be gunning for governor soon ... and after that, it looks like the sky's the limit!
Knowing full well that Davis is a politician to watch, Vogue featured her in their September issue, and the story is full of exciting details that prove she's even more interesting than we realized. And a "cool mom," to boot! So cool, in fact, that we wish we could hang out with her when the mom of two -- 31-year-old Amber and 24-year-old Dru -- isn't taking the floor of the Texas Senate. Here, 10 reasons we'd love Wendy Davis to be our new BFF ...
- She has a totally imperfect, relatable, but really admirable past. Davis admitted that when she was a teen, she was overconfident and something of a wild child. “I decided I knew everything in the world, and I moved in with my boyfriend. It was all about escape and rebellion.” In turn, she found herself, at 19, married and divorced, and raising a child alone, even spending some time living in a trailer park. But she went on to become the first in her family to graduate college while raising her young daughter. Awesome!
- She'd give good style advice. Vogue notes that the senator "loves to put on something nice, dresses by Chloé and Victoria Beckham, and Miu Miu heels or Louboutins."
- She watches Girls. And her boyfriend gets squeamish sometimes when they watch together. Ha! Been there!
- She struggles to style her "naturally curly hair." And gets teased for "the inconceivable number of products she collects to tame it.” She laments, "I have super-super-curly hair, and it's a constant struggle." Oh, we could definitely hit up Ulta or Sephora together!
- She runs and cycles. And thus would make for a kick-butt workout buddy!
- She loves Mexican food. And brunch! Vogue mentions that Davis's favorite brunch spot in town is Benito’s, a Mexican-food dive. A woman after my own heart!
- She probably gets awesome invites to the White House. When Wendy commanded the national spotlight earlier this summer, President Obama tweeted his support for her. Thus, hanging with Wendy would probably mean hitting up the White House for cocktails with Barack and Michelle, right?
- Davis's actual best friend's father-in-law owns the Patriots. So I'm sure she and her fam are in on some huge, VIP football/Super Bowl parties. Fun!
- Her version of a fun night out sounds like ours. She spent an evening at the drive-in movie theater with her daughters to catch Despicable Me 2.
- A fun night in, too! Which she describes as “in Luluelmon, with a glass of red wine, watching HGTV.” Love it.
Could you see yourself hanging with Wendy? What do you think makes her most relatable?
Image via Tracy Nanthavongsa/Wikimedia