3-Month-Old Baby Spontaneously Catches Fire So Often He Must Sleep by a Fire Extinguisher

spontaneous combustionA 3-month-old baby in India has an incredibly rare disease that has caused him, in his short life, to burst into flames on four separate occasions. Oh yes. You read that right. This poor baby has to sleep next to a fire extinguisher because he may spontaneously combust at any moment.

Though very, very rare, it's possible that a person can have this issue. There have been 200 such cases in the past 300 years. At first, people blamed the mother and she suffered social ostracization because of it. But now, even a doctor has confirmed that this child has an incredibly rare syndrome in which the tiniest spark or flame can cause a human to burst into flames. 

The doctor says:

We have to teach them to avoid sending the child out in the sun and specify the kinds of clothes he can wear when he grows up. Matchsticks, crackers, or anything that can catch fire should not be kept near him.

Can you even imagine? This is worse than any food allergy or illness a child could possibly have. One tiny bit of exposure to the sun and it could be all over. Even worse, this poor mother. I am sure many people doubted her story. After all, it's easy to doubt. Spontaneous combustion is largely considered a myth, something people have made up. And yet, it seems it isn't. It's just extremely rare.

Each time the baby named Rahul has burst into flames, he has been burned severely and he is only 3 months old. For these parents, getting this child to adulthood is going to be an incredibly long and painful and frightening process.

Forget turning on a gas oven or stove near this child or lighting a candle or going out in the midday sun. Everything is going to be a challenge.

It's good to publicize the story so that people know it's possible and families need not suffer in shame and silence. But still. When you bring a new baby home, this is the last kind of thing you would ever expect to be dealing with. It's just beyond comprehension. Perhaps the more people talk about it, the more help this mom will get. Lord knows, she will need it.

Have you ever heard of anything like this?

 

Image via Thomas's Pics/Flickr

in the news

34 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

nonmember avatar Zach

I call bullshit on this story.

nonmember avatar Will

http://onenitestan.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/super_saiyan_goten.jpg

nonmember avatar Kimber

If it's true (which I have a hard time believing that it is)...it's very BIZARRE!

Mindy Russell

SHC is no joke, but what I dont understand is that the article says nothing about why the child is producing more then usual amout of gases

Michelle Thornton

I have heard of spontaneous combustion but all adults. And happens once and they die by burning insides


 


 

Linda Mello

I have heard of this before. What if they keep a wet blanket on him all the time?

Kasey Martin

i hope this mother can get some help dealing with this i dont know if there is any support groups fund to find cure best of luck you are in my prays


 

BatMom. BatMom.

Oh. My. GOD.

Teal Chastain Blacksten

Could this be the root of what causes Spontaneous Human Combustion? That SHC could have a genetic/medical component is a provocative idea!

Krista Florian Girardin

i know someone a teacher that her child had some thing like this was in so much pain turned out the insides of him were buring like on fire. he was in the hospital almost the whole school year. it was so sad  to hear about. happy to say he is doing some what better not usre on details but the mom is back teaching hope we have her for this school year..nice person. age was 4 or 5.

1-10 of 34 comments 1234 Last