Shana SuggsLice. They're the last thing you want your kid bringing home from school -- worse than an F on that report card even. So what do you do? Well, take it from an Oklahoma mom who just got arrested for setting her 5-year-old daughter's hair on fire. Don't use gasoline!

Cops say Shana Suggs poured gas on her child's head to kill the creepy crawlies she brought home from school. But then things got scary, and fast!

A space heater nearby caught both Suggs and her daughter on fire. Her live-in boyfriend, Dylan Webster, apparently put the flames out, and after dropping off the four other kids who were at home with relatives, they rushed the little girl to the hospital.

Now the little girl is in CPS custody after a visit to the burn unit, and mom has been arrested and charged with felony child abuse by injury.

Come on now!

If anything, this mom is guilty of being an idiot.

But felony child abuse?

It sounds more like a horrible accident to me. One that happened because of her stupidity, granted, but still, the story laid out by the cops doesn't stink of abuse.

They were dealing with the kid's lice! They rushed her to the hospital!

They didn't leave her to deal with the itch on her head, nor did they leave her covered in burns in her bed.

Unfortunately, gasoline is a lice remedy used by many Americans and has been since the olden days. It's not a good one; I'm not suggesting anyone copy Suggs' alleged crime here. But it reminds me of bourbon being rubbed on the gums of a teething tot -- it's a bad idea but one that is handed down from generation to generation.

So again, I have to ask: is it really criminal to follow granny's advice? Or just plain stupid?

From the sounds of it, Suggs and her daughter have both suffered here. Both were caught on fire, mom and child were separated. There's been a CPS investigation, there's been the public outing of her dumb move.

I'd say this family has been punished enough, don't you?

What do you think should be done with this mother?

 

Image via police