Ariel Castro has been indicted by a grand jury in the kidnapping case of three women whom he allegedly held in his house in Cleveland, Ohio for over a decade. One of the women, Amanda Berry, gave birth to Castro's child. The 142-page indictment has 329 charges, including 139 counts of rape, 177 counts of kidnapping, and two acts of aggravated murder for miscarriages that he is accused of causing deliberately. The indictment contains several shocking new details about what went on in the house before the women were freed last month.
Some horrific allegations in the indictment include:
- Michelle Knight, the first to be kidnapped, was impregnanted four times by Ariel Castro. Previously reports said that Knight miscarried after being repeatedly kicked in the stomach by Castro.
- The first day of her kidnapping, Michelle was restrained in an upstairs room. She was then moved to the basement and chained to a pole. He raped her the next day.
- Amanda Berry was the second to be abducted. Castro taped her legs and mouth and raped her after she tried to escape. She was then chained in the basement. The next day, he chained her to a heater in a bedroom.
- The same day as her kidnapping, Castro wrapped a vacuum cord around Berry's neck and assaulted her.
- Gina DeJesus was the third victim. Castro raped her in an upstairs bathroom on her first day in captivity.
More charges are pending.
After ten years of torture, I can't imagine how they could indict Castro for every single alleged crime perpetrated against these poor women, but undoubtedly there's enough to keep him in prison for the rest of his natural life, which hopefully will be a short one.
The prosecutor is still trying to decide whether to ask for the death penalty, which would be unprecedented, since none of the women were killed.
Do you think Castro deserves the death penalty?
Image via WKYC