I'll never forget my trip to Ireland, which I made when I was in my early 20s. My friend and I wound our way to a pub in Dublin (which isn't that difficult, as there was a watering hole every few feet). At some point during the evening, the entire bar burst into spontaneous song. It's the kind of thing you think happens in Ireland -- but you imagine you probably got the idea from movie and things aren't really like that. But it happened. I can't remember the song, but I remember the jovial atmosphere and the giddiness of being around people who, well, just went ahead and started singing at a pub! Today, of course, is St. Patrick's Day, and plenty of people will be out at bars celebrating -- and maybe even singing. Here's 10 favorite Irish sayings and toasts to make your celebration even more authentic.
1. May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
2. As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction.
3. May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light, may good luck pursue you each morning and night.
4. A trout in the pot is better than a salmon in the sea.
5. Here's to being single, drinking doubles, and seeing triple!
6. May we get what we want, may we get what we need, but may we never get what we deserve.
7. Here's to a long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer and another one.
8. May you taste the sweetest pleasures that fortune ere bestowed, and may all your friends remember all the favors you are owed.
9. May the good Lord take a liking to you ... But not too soon.
10. If you're lucky enough to be Irish ... You're lucky enough!
Will you be celebrating St. Patrick's Day? Will you use any of these sayings? Do you have a favorite one?
Image via RuffRyd/Flickr