We’re not even quite three months into 2013 yet and already, Janet Jackson is winning. The undisputed queen of sneakaway weddings pulled it off again and announced in brilliant, oh-by-the-way aloofness, that she and Wissam Al Mana, her billionaire businessman boyfriend husband, have actually been married for quite some time. Like since last year. Catch up, y’all.
The secretive mister and missus shuttled a statement over to Entertainment Tonight to squelch speculation about some impending grandiose ceremony, adding just enough detail to hush additional questions: "Our wedding gifts to one another were contributions to our respective favourite children’s charities," they statement-ed. "We would appreciate that our privacy is respected and that we are allowed this time for celebration and joy."
And they look beautiful together. Take a gander at this uber gorgeous wedding pic:
Take notes, celebs: if you really want hush-hush nuptials, it can indeed be done. Ms. Janet (consistently) shows us how. You do remember that this isn’t her first time on a secretive trip down the aisle? She was married very briefly to fellow singer James DeBarge back when she was just 18—his family didn’t know until they saw a magazine cover—and then she secretly jumped the broom with dancer René Elizondo, Jr. in 1991.
(Glad this blog post is almost over. I’m running out of synonyms for “married.”)
So to recap why this is shaping up to be JJ’s Best Freakin’ Year Ever:
1. She’s back to being thin and looking svelte and sexy. (Though she never stopped being sexy when she was heavier, which means she’s double winning. Chicks who can carry extra weight beautifully always are.)
2. She brought back those box braids like she had in Poetic Justice, making her a re-trend setter.
3. She’s in love and she done got hitched.
4. He’s cute.
5. He’s a billionaire.
6. He’s Qatari, and that’s a uniquely cool thing to say.
7. He’s a billionaire. (Yes, that bears repeating.)
Which celebrity wedding do you wish you could get a special invite to?
Image via -MaDMAn-/Flickr