What occured at Sandy Hook Elementary School two weeks ago was so devastating that we couldn't possibly imagine there being any light at all related to the tragedy. But over the days following, the response from people all over the country has been incredibly powerful. Loads of gifts have arrived in Newtown, Connecticut. So many that postal workers say they can no longer handle the capacity of the packages they're receiving.
Newtown First Selectman Patricia Llondra said, "Our hearts are warmed by the outpouring of love and support from all corners of our country and world," but she went on to note that while the town is immensely grateful, they need to ask that people who wish to give the town condolences for the shooting donate to needy children and families in their own community, in the name of those killed in Sandy Hook Elementary on December 14.
As of Friday evening, Newtown's website still featured the Sandy Hook Donations Fund, which is organized through United Way of Western Connecticut. United Way partnered with Newtown Savings Bank to create the fund, which will aid affected families. But here are some other ways to do as Llondra has suggested and finding ways to donate to needy children in your own community ...
- You can check out Toys of Hope - A 501(c)(3) charity where 100 percent of all money donated goes towards helping children and needy families.
- Or Feeding America, which donates every dollar they receive to provide 8 meals to families struggling with hunger. Their food bank network members supply food to more than 37 million Americans each year, including 14 million children and 3 million seniors in all 50 states.
- To hunt for even more local charities, on CreateTheGood.org. You can type in your zip code and the type of charity you'd like to find, and you'll get a whole list of local results.
- JustGive.org works similarly. Type in your zip to find causes to donate to in your own backyard, and get info on nearly 1.8 million charities.
- You can also search for charities with NetworkforGood.org, which allows you to donate to multiple charities in one, simple transaction.
Here, a group of musicians offers their condolences in the form of a song dedicated to the victims ...
What do you think is the best way to donate or volunteer on behalf of those affected in Newtown?
Image via CNN