This morning we marked one whole week since the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School with a moment of silence. It was a time to honor the lives lost, the children stolen from their families. But I can't help hoping it will be more. Will we finally be able to silence the ridiculous parade of "reasons" for the Sandy Hook shooting?
In one week, we've certainly heard enough -- from pastors blaming the removal of God from the schools to a recent assertion that the school had become too "feminine." And quite frankly, I've had enough. There is only one true reason that children were murdered in Newtown, Connecticut last week.
His name is Adam Lanza. He armed himself like a soldier going into war, and he murdered 27 innocent people.
He is why we are mourning a week later. So let's put the following to rest, shall we?
More from The Stir: Adam Lanza's Mother Nancy Was Every Bit the Victim in Newtown Tragedy
1. Female adults inside Sandy Hook Elementary School. National Review writer Charlotte Allen asserted this week that, "Women and small children are sitting ducks for mass-murderers." Where do we begin with this backward thinking? Let me just say that no one is "asking" to be murdered; certainly not women who dare to go to work to educate young children. Sure, there might not have been a male janitor on the premises to, as Allen suggested, "heave his bucket at Adam Lanza’s knees," but the Virginia Tech campus was crawling with adult males, and 33 lives were lost there because this is what happens when a psychopath decides to kill people -- regardless of gender.
2. Schools teach evolution and acceptance of homosexuality. Yes, this really happened. In Tennessee, Old Paths Baptist Church Pastor Sam Morris took to the pulpit on Sunday to claim that Adam Lanza shot innocent children because schools were government “mind-control centers” that taught “junk about evolution” and “how to be a gay.” Really.
3. Political correctness. Leave it to Ted Nugent to spout off inappropriately. The rocker ranted that the shooting happened because "we live in an embarrassing, politically correct culture." Yes, ladies and gents, because we frown on calling black people the n-word, children were murdered. REALLY?
4. Video games. I'll admit this one is a little less ridiculous. We have heard that Adam Lanza enjoyed playing violent video games, and they may well have enabled him to live a fantasy life where this sort of activity was acceptable. But the hundreds of thousands of people who play these games and live quiet lives of peace put the current frenzy in perspective.
5. Teachers. In light of the heroism of the women in that school, who literally gave their lives for their students, the slam by Tea Party Nation member Timothy Birdnow on the teachers' unions is particularly disgusting. Birdnow called for parents to homeschool, claiming "as long as we have group think in the classrooms, we will never see the end of this."
6. Israel. Granted, this came from Iran, but there was an actual article blaming "Israeli death squads" for the Sandy Hook massacre.
7. President Obama. Birther Number One Orly Taitz actually fingered the president, saying he is "trying to show that some person can appear out of the blue and slaughter people" so he can ban guns and "gain an absolute power." Apparently Taitz thinks Lanza was drugged and on a political mission. At least her theories on the president's birthplace are silly; this accusation is downright sick.
8. Autism. Because of reports that Adam Lanza had Asperger's Syndrome, the autism community has been put in the sad position of having to defend their kids instead of mourning along with the rest of the country. Let's shut this one down right now: autism does not turn someone into a psychopathic killer. Period.
9. Gay marriage. Focus on the Family's James Dobson tried to blame support for marriage equality for the tragedy, saying this is God's judgment. Fortunately, the two have nothing to do with one another.
10. No prayer in schools. Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee and many others are trying to launch a platform to rescind the separation of church and state by suggesting that kids praying in schools would have somehow prevented Adam Lanza from his horrific killing spree. Were the kids supposed to pray the bullets away?
Can we finally put this ridiculous blame game to rest and recognize that Adam Lanza was to blame for this horror? Do you give credence to any of these arguments?
Image via ABC
I create a special savings account
I put a little away at a time
I cut corners until I can afford it
Save? Who has money to save?
I plan to put it on my credit card and love the benefits of the reward program