Toddler’s Heroin Overdose Should Have Never Happened

Twisted 7

FlowersHearing about someone unexpectedly passing before being able to live a full life is always heartbreaking. Hearing about a toddler passing, though, is especially rough. Daniel Jones, a 23-month-old from England, died on May 29 at his home. Initially unexplained, forensic tests later showed that he died from a heroin overdose. His parents, Emma Bradburn and Simon Jones, appeared in court today and were charged with manslaughter and causing or allowing the death of a child.

... it's hard to form words. While we don't know exactly how the heroin got into the toddler's system, one would assume that he either ate it or sniffed it accidentally. So many questions, so very few answers. The toddler died by heroin overdose: Now that's a phrase you don't hear every day.

The fact that there was heroin in the home of a 23-month-old is a major problem to begin with. I won't go straight to blaming the parents here. Sure, a babysitter could have left the drugs around or someone else could have brought them into the home. Regardless, in any situation, parents should know what kind of people are interacting with their child. Personally, I could never imagine inviting someone that would abuse a drug like that into my home, nevertheless near my kid.

Now, Daniel was found at the home with only his two parents at the time -- so herein lies the bigger issue: What were they doing when their toddler found and consumed the drugs? Why were they not watching him? Could Daniel have been saved if they were playing closer attention? Like I said, the questions are endless.

My heart breaks thinking about the aftermath right now. If the drugs belonged to the parents, I highly highly doubt they wanted their baby to come anywhere near them. Because of a careless choice, a toddler is dead. We can only hope that the responsible party takes the blame.

Whether or not the drugs belonged to Emma and Simon, do you think the parents are to blame?

 

Image via john morgan/Flickr

death, child abuse, crime, drugs

7 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

Sarah UsedtobeZech Cone

How very sad. Kids/toddlers are very fast and it only takes turning your back on them for a second.However, for this toddler to have had enough unsupervised time to find(an illegal and deadly substance that had no business being there or in reach in the first place) AND ingest/inhale the heroin AND also over-dose on it is highly irresponsible and in this case obviously at the very least criminally neglectful, in my opinion.

DebaLa DebaLa

Overdose? There is a 'proper' dose of heroin for toddles these days, huh?

nonmember avatar Laura

Have some consideration for the family of that poor little soul! People like you are scum and frive off of things like this! This has nothing to do with you this group is pointless and you don't need to put ur opinion of it anywhere! Expecially on the internet! Like I said have some consideration for the family of daniel emma + simon! Non of you know the full story! Think before you do things u inconsiderate person!!!

the4m... the4mutts

Depends. When we first moved into our home, my 1yr old got ahold o heroine that had been stashed by the men putting in the flooring before we moved in. I was cooking, and letting her play in the pots & pans cabinet. I cleaned the cabinet the day before. There was a lip up at the top, concealed with a piece of plywood, that served as a false top to the cabinet. I turned around when she got too quiet, and stopped banging on the pots. What do I see? A fucking heroine needle, full of drugs, in her MOUTH!! She also had the baggie opened, and in her mouth! I called 911 and rushed her to the hospital. Luckily, she had no drugs in her system, though the needle did puncture her mouth in several places. She had to get aids & hep tests every 3-6 months for 2 years. Everything turned out fine.

But there are situations where children come across drugs, where parents are not to blame. There was nothing I could have done to prevent this.

John Ng Mc

Without a doubt the parents are to be blamed and charged! A 23 month old cannot administer drug to itself, it must be given by one of the parents. They are fit to be parents!

the4m... the4mutts

John, stfu.

the4m... the4mutts

Btw, what's with all the men on here lately? CM mods getting a little lax in their duties?

1-7 of 7 comments