Carbon Monoxide Evacuation in Elementary School Caused by a Really Stupid Mistake (VIDEO)

OMG 2

carbon monoxideSo, this is unsettling. Five-hundred students in Finch Elementary School in Atlanta were evacuated from school Monday morning when high and unsafe levels of carbon monoxide were detected. Twenty-nine students, a cafeteria worker, and a teacher were taken to a nearby hospital. Cops and firefighters showed up at the school after there were reports that people were unconscious.

And what makes the whole situation even worse is what caused the situation. It's something every one of us needs to worry about. Great.

According to Atlanta fire Capt. Marian McDaniel, no one was unconscious as reported, but people were ill at the school. And the cause? A faulty furnace. Firefighters found seriously unsafe levels of carbon monoxide by a furnace in the school, leading them to believe that the furnace was leaking, well, carbon monoxide. McDaniel said of the leak: "It was one of the highest we've seen." Thankfully, as of now, no one has been reported as having life-threatening symptoms, but all 31 people hospitalized had problems serious enough to warranted further medical attention. Yikes.

I mean, I don't know about you, but when I go to work in the morning, carbon monoxide definitely isn't something at the forefront of my brain. Or in the back of it. And even though my daughter is still a baby, and years away from kindergarten, I worry about her going to school. But yeah, carbon monoxide has never crossed my mind. Ever.

Thank goodness everyone is okay. Hopefully, this will be a reminder to businesses, homes, and schools everywhere to always make sure the carbon monoxide detectors are working.

Have you ever had a carbon monoxide scare?

CBS Atlanta 46

 

Image via Victory of the People/Flickr

accidents

2 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

Autum... Autumnleaves87

Whoa. Scary and too close for comfort.



My grandparents take a long RV trip every year, and one summer unknowingly backed into a boulder that clamped their tail pipe closed. That was the only damage so the hit pretty much went unnoticed. Next thing my grandma knew, 5 minutes later, she was drowsy and passing out and luckily my grandpa knew there was something really wrong, made it outside, and got some help. They both had to be airlifted to nearby hospitals, and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.



It was a pretty severe recovery too. My grandma had to spend some time in a decompression-type chamber, and stay in the hospital for a few days.



She did tell me one good thing though, and you'll have to understand, my grandma has a very amusing sense of humor: she said if she had to go, carbon monoxide would be her way of choice. Apparently it was a very comfortable nap, and a great view from the helicopter...



They now have detectors all over, and so does my whole family:)

gridi... gridironsmom

I can't figure out what the stupid mistake was. They evacuated due to a leaky furnace. Good for them!

1-2 of 2 comments
F