psychedelicHere's a riddle. When two brothers, 7 and 10, were hospitalized after arriving at their Philadelphia elementary school one late September morning foaming at the mouth and hallucinating, what would you guess was the cause? Rabies? Epilepsy? A snake bite? A cruel prank? Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. The brothers were tripping on LSD.

Did I mention they were 7 and 10? As in 7 and 10 years old? OK, cool, just checking.

Apparently, the brothers accidentally took liquid LSD from a bottle of breath mint drops they found on the sidewalk, and decided to try it. The boys' mother and live-in boyfriend tested negative for drugs and investigators say there were no issues in the home. And unfortunately, cops weren't able to get any fingerprints off the small breath mint bottle of LSD and have no leads.

OK. I don't have any kids, but do parents have to teach their kids not to eat things off the street? Is that, like, a sit-down conversation that has to happen? If not, then maybe it should be because our streets and sidewalks are overrun with hallucinogens just waiting to be ingested.

Not really, but still, this story is pretty horrifying -- so glad these boys are OK! Can you imagine the trip they must have had? Acid can seriously mess up adults, let alone 90-pound children. I sincerely pray they don't have any flashbacks. That could be extremely traumatizing. Psychedelic superhero lunch box characters could haunt a person for life.

Note to self, and to all you kids out there -- do not eat things you find on the street. It's bad. The end.

Can you believe this?

 

Photo via Oslo in the Summertime/Flickr