The man who accused Elmo creator Kevin Clash of having sex with him when he was only 16 -- only to recant the accusation yesterday -- has been revealed. He's 24-year-old Sheldon Stephens, an aspiring model with a shady past. And thanks to that shady past, we now know for certain that he really was an adult when he had that affair with Clash.
Thank goodness for a criminal record, right? SIGH. So here's what The Smoking Gun dug up, confirmed by a family member and a friend of Stephens': Stephens was arrested in 2009 in the Harrisburg, PA airport on charges of receiving stolen property. Police caught him with a necklace and ring supposedly worth $250,000 combined. A record producer claimed it was stolen from him at knifepoint. Stephens claimed it was a gift. The case was settled out of court. Anyhoo, here's what else we now know about the guy.
1. Stephen's friend describes him as a "God-fearing guy" who just happens to attract high-powered men.
2. He lives in Pennsylvania but used to live in New York City. And he's probably "that guy" who's always talking about how awesome his life was when he lived in New York and how he's planning to move back there, like, maybe next month.
3. Stephens' lawyers dropped his case shortly before he recanted. I guess they did some digging and realized there was nothing there? They released yesterday's statement as a courtesy.
4. This is not the Sheldon Stephens you're looking for.
5. He's got some odd tattoos. One appears to be a seated woman reading something (a magazine or an iPad?) sprawled over his shoulder and upper chest. Then there are two stars with the letter "S" inside, and a heart with the letter "A" inside, both on his arm.
6. He's a student at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology and expects to graduate with a BA in May 2013.
7. Stephens describes himself as an actor and model and started a talent management company. But he's mostly worked in retail and hospitality.
8. TSM sneaked a peek at Stephens' Twitter (protected) just to see how he describes himself: "Entrepreneur, Student, Model, Actor." And on Facebook: "I like to consider myself a rare breed. I'm very spontaneous and random ... I'm determined and goal oriented. My destiny is laid on a solid gold brick pathway....... MY FUTURE IS BRIGHT and never will it dim." So much I could say about that.
9. But I won't, because here's the tragic part. Last March Stephens' mom allegedly stabbed her husband repeatedly with a pair of scissors. She'll face charges of attempted murder in December.
10. Stephens has also been in trouble with the law a couple times since 2009. He was accused of passing a bad check and he was pulled over for reckless driving.
What do you think Stephens will do once the scandal blows over?
Image via Dauphin County Prison