When we look back on Election 2012, I'm sure there are many goofy, witty, skin-crawingly irritating, shocking sound bites and memes -- from "47 percent" to firing Big Bird -- that'll come to mind. But one of the most uplifting, positive, and sweet themes that played out over the course of the presidential campaign had to be how increasingly mushy and gushy both President Obama and Mitt Romney got about their wives.
Granted, sometimes it seemed like they were trying to upstage one another -- to prove who's the bigger family man -- but other times, what they had to say about their beloved spouse really did seem to come from the heart. Here, eight of the most heart-warming, adorable quotes from both candidates about their beautiful, brilliant wives First Lady Michelle Obama and Ann Romney ...
- Mitt Romney, in his concession speech last night: "Besides my wife, Ann, Paul is the best choice I've ever made. ... Also wanna thank Ann, the love of my life. She would have been a wonderful first lady. She's ... She has been that and more to me and to our family and to the many people she has touched with her compassion and her care."
- President Obama, in his victory speech last night: "Let me say this publicly: Michelle, I have never loved you more. I have never been prouder to watch the rest of America fall in love with you, too, as our nation’s first lady."
- Mitt Romney leaked a photo from 1968 ... in which he's posing beside the words “I LOVE YOU, ANN” written in a heart in the sand.
- President Obama, on his 20th wedding anniversary last month, tweeted: "Twenty years ago today, I married the love of my life and my best friend. Happy anniversary, Michelle. -bo."
- Mitt Romney, about first meeting Ann: "I'd seen the girl in elementary school, but she was in the second grade, I was in the fourth grade. So, I didn't pay a lot of attention at that point. But when she turned almost 16, I thought she was pretty interesting."
- President Obama, on his first date with Michelle: "We were at a law firm together, I was a Summer associate, she was already practicing law. I had been sort of eyeing her for a while, but she was acting real professional. Finally I wear her down a little bit and I say, we're coming back from a firm picnic and I said, 'Well let's go get some ice cream.' We went to Baskin-Robbins on 53rd Street in Chicago, she bought chocolate, I don't remember what I bought. They didn't have any seats in the store so we sat out on a curb on a summer day and had ice cream, and that's when I asked her if I could kiss her."
- Mitt about his marriage proposal: "I didn't want to be anywhere else but with Ann. I wanted to be with her all the time and couldn't imagine being anywhere else besides being with her. And so, at the senior prom, as we danced a little bit, we went outside of the school and I turned to her and said, 'Ann, would you marry me?' And she said, 'Yes.'"
- President Obama to Oprah: "Obviously I couldn't have done anything that I've done without Michelle ... not only has she been a great first lady, she is just my rock. I count on her in so many ways every single day."
What did you think about the romantic comments both candidates made about their wives throughout the campaign?
Image via Joe Raedle/Getty