Attention America! Today is Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, also known in the rest of the world as the day when a bunch of pigheaded Americans will choose to stick their noses in the sand and pretend that it's OK to hate an entire sector of the population based entirely on the way they were born. They'll join Mike Huckabee and Sarah Palin at the fast food restaurant to celebrate its "Biblically based principles" in hating gays.
So what about all the Americans who don't have a taste for hate chicken on August 1? What can we do? Oooooh, the possibilities are endless! Behold:
1. Celebrate World Middle Finger Day. Ironic, isn't it? But today is indeed the day when flipping people the bird isn't just good for the soul. It's practically required of you. My suggestion? Find the Chick-fil-A nearest you, roll down your car windows, and celebrate World Middle Finger Day in full sight of all the homophobes downing their waffle fries.
2. Visit KFC. The viral photo of a KFC signboard that reads "Delicious Chicken Served Without Hate" may not be real. But I hope it is.
3. Considering throwing a Raspberry Cream Pie in the face of your idiot local homophobe. August 1 is ALSO National Raspberry Cream Pie Day and what better way to celebrate? Actually, come to think of it, that would be a major waste of a good pie. Just eat it and enjoy that you're the bigger person. Seriously, who needs chicken for lunch anyway?
4. Buy something from the Yves Saint Laurent Collection (even if you have to do it on eBay). The late fashion designer lived much of his life with partner and eventual husband (they had a same-sex civil union) Pierre Berge. And yes, it was on August 1 that he was born this way baby!
5. Submit your own video to the It Gets Better project. Gay kids will see enough hate today. How about doing something GOOD for this world?
What will you be doing on Chick-fil-A "Appreciation" Day?
Image via Hey Paul Studios/Flickr