It's a tough job: Free hugs at the farmers' marketFollowing yesterday's East Coast, uh, well, let's go ahead and call it an "earthquake," we out here on the West Coast confirmed what we've known for a long time now: West Coasters are way tougher than East Coasters (yes, even though we don't boast such cool, tough-guy accents). A 5.9-pointer on this coast wouldn't have even made any of us flinch, let alone light up Twitter for hours and hours.
It's fine -- East Coasters know we're tougher. We know it. No need to get into an East Coast vs. West Coast brawl of any sort over this (because we know who would win). Let's just allow this whole thing to fall away softly like coastal breeze or, you know, like an earthquake under 6.0.
Oh, who am I kidding? IT IS ON, East Coast!
10 Reasons the West Coast Is Tougher Than the East Coast
1. Giving out free hugs is a tough job. Let's see you grumpy East Coasters TRY to bring on some of that bicep-bustin' action.
2. In order to get this blonde and this tan, we actually SIT ... IN THE SUN ... FOR HOURS. I'd like to see an East Coaster give that a try. It gets sweaty, for godssake.
3. We all ride our bikes to work -- with our surfboards on our backs. You take the subway. Now what?
4. This volleyball match may look like fun to you, but it's a really tough game AND equally as hard to watch from a beach chair without fainting.
5. Spending much of the year in flip-flops can lead to lower back ache pain, but that doesn't stop us. Yeah, those are callouses, what of it?
6. We don't have seasons. We actually have to use a calendar!
7. Carmageddon. Enough said.
8. We don't have humidity. We actually have to BUY hair products and USE a curling iron to make our hair curl.
9. Just TRY to put a bird on this many cute things and make a store out of it. East Coasters simply don't have this kind of tough love in 'em.
10. Lest you think I've lost my California zen in the this whole East Coast/West Coast squabble, you should know I'm already off OMMMing myself back to tranquility in my bad-ass SERENITY NOW den out back. Maybe you can find peace by cursing out a cab driver or whatever it is do back there.
Who's tougher -- East Coasters or West Coasters?
Top image via humboldthead/Flickr