Memorial Day is more than just the unofficial start to summer and a day of picnics, barbecues, family togetherness, and a day off work. Those may be the things that make us love it, but the truth is that it's a day for us to honor our servicemen and women, something that is especially important right now at a time when so many are so far from home.
With nearly 1.5 million Americans actively serving in our military and armed forces, there are a lot of families who have loved ones serving overseas who are starting this summer down one member. It's important to thank our servicemen and women in large and small ways all year round, but on Memorial Day, it's even more important.
A number of businesses are offering discounts to servicemen and women throughout Memorial Day weekend (and some all year round). Here are 10 of the best, compiled by Gift Card Granny:
- Aeropostale: Receive a 20 percent discount at participating locations with a valid military ID.
- Johnny Rockets: Save 50 percent when you wear your uniform.
- Timberland Outlets: Get a 20 percent discount with an active duty military ID.
- Sears Portrait Studio: Save 20 percent if you show your military ID at checkout.
- Southwest Airlines: Receive one-way tickets as low as $51 for military personnel and their family members. You must call Southwest Airlines' customer service hotline to receive the discount.
- Clarion Hotel Universal: Military discounts are available for $59 or $69 per night with a free breakfast buffet. This offer is subject to availability.
- FTD: Save up to 20 percent on your flower purchase.
- Norwegian Cruise Lines: All active, retired, or honorably discharged military personnel receive a 5-15 percent discount.
- San Diego Zoo: The best discount is FREE! This one offers fee admission with a valid military ID. Spouses and dependents receive a 10 percent discount.
- Apple Computers: This offers up to 17 percent on military products with valid military ID or email address.
There are hundreds more where this came from, too. See the Gift Card Granny for the full list of military discounts, which number more than 100.
Of course, material things can't make up for having a family member away, but it's one of many ways we can thank the men and women who are out there working so hard for our country.
How will you thank a member of the military for Memorial Day?
Image via KB35/Flickr