If you've been paying any attention at all to the world around you, you're probably aware that a group called Family Radio, a California-based sectarian Christian group, is claiming that May 21, 2011 will be Judgment Day. It is letting us all know through billboards, fliers, and windowless vans that roughly 200 million believers will be suddenly "raptured" to heaven. The rest of us? Well, it's the end of the world as we know it. (Sort of like the R.E.M. song.)
The thing is ... even if you don't believe Family Radio, you gotta admit there's some pretty insane stuff going on lately. It seems the Universe is trying to tell us that the end is near!
Here, 21 signs the Apocalypse is upon us ...
1. The conservatives haven't defended their big mouth hero Glenn Beck after he lashed out about Meghan McCain's skin cancer ad.
2. After a kajillion years, Oprah is actually going off the air!
3. Remember the bazillion dead birds just falling right out of the sky? Of course you do!
4. There are parents who are so insane that they inject botulinum toxin into their 8 year olds!
5. Multiple horrific earthquakes.
6. Multiple destructive storms and tornadoes.
7. Multiple horrific flash floods.
8. Horrific tsunamis.
9. Newt Gingrich thinks he can win the presidency.
10. DONALD TRUMP thinks he can win the presidency!
11. Animals are escaping zoos, proving in a way that they're actually smarter than we are?
12. Pole dancing could become an Olympic sport. (Gasp! What has this world come to, people?!)
13. Bedbugs could be spreading antibiotic-resistant MRSA.
14. A woman woke up from surgery with a British accent. Huh???
15. There is such a thing as glow-in-the-dark PORK. What the hell? Oh, plus, 47 percent of all beef, pork, and poultry in the United States is likely tainted with MRSA. So between bedbugs and meat, we're all gonna die.
16. May has been declared Zombie Awareness Month. Yes, really.
17. People actually spend money on things like Prince William and Kate Middleton BISCUIT TINS.
18. There is such a thing as a $2,000+ bottle of water.
19. Rebecca Black. "Friday." 'Nuff said.
20. A megalomaniac named Charlie Sheen dominated the news cycle for how many weeks???
21. There are no longer seasons known as spring or fall. Just really really cold, snowy weather and the really really hot, muggy kind -- kinda like in HELL.
What are some other signs that the world is ending?
Image via Jonathan Lidbeck/Flickr