In celebration of 420 -- known fondly to pot smokers everywhere as National Marijuana Day -- we scoured the Internet for quotes by politicians concerning cannabis and weeded out the funniest. Some of these you've heard before, while others are more surprising. Sit back, relax, and maybe you'll even learn a thing or two about the fragrant green herb from some of our country's best and brightest.
1. "When I was in England, I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn’t like it, and I didn’t inhale, and I never tried again." --Bill Clinton
2. "I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast." --Ronald Reagan
3. "Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth and protection of the country." --Thomas Jefferson
4. "You bet I did and I enjoyed it." [on whether he has smoked marijuana] --Michael Bloomberg
5. "When I was a kid, I inhaled frequently. That was the point." --Barack Obama
6. "The drug is really quite a remarkably safe one for humans, although it is really quite a dangerous one for mice and they should not use it." --J.W.D Henderson (Director of the Bureau of Human Drugs, Health, and Welfare, Canada)
7. "Make the most of the Indian Hemp Seed and sow it everywhere." --George Washington
8. "Congress should definitely consider decriminalizing possession of marijuana …. We should concentrate on prosecuting the rapists and burglars who are a menace to society." --Dan Quayle
9. "Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself, and where they are they should be changed." --Jimmy Carter
10. "That is not a drug. It’s a leaf." --Arnold Schwarzenegger
Is 4/20 a special day for you?
Image via iTopher/Flickr