J. Paul Getty III, the Golden Hippie grandson of billionaire oil tycoon-turned-art collector J. Paul Getty, died Saturday at 54 years old. Although his famous grandfather once called him "a bright, red-haired little rascal ... most cheerful and cute," Getty's life was a rather tragic one. Since 1981, he had been wheelchair-bound and in need of around-the-clock care, due to a drug overdose that left him paralyzed and almost blind.
Here, a few famous folk who you may not realize were connected to Getty ...
- Balthazar Getty -- An actor best known for his roles in Brothers & Sisters and Alias, Balthazar (aka "Balty") is Getty's son. Of his father, Balthazar recently said, "[He] never let his handicap keep him from living life to the fullest and he was an inspiration to all of us, showing us how to stand up to all adversity ... We will miss him terribly."
- Sienna Miller -- Although she likely never met J. Paul Getty III, the famous English actress, who is always in the tabloids for breaking up and making up with Jude Law, was spied with son Balthazar in 2008. The two had been reportedly gettin' it on while Balthazar was separated from his wife, Rosetta Getty.
- Mick Jagger -- J. Paul Getty III's father, J. Paul Getty, Jr., was quite the party animal. He and his wife, Talitha Getty, hit the Swingin' Sixties scene in London and became very close with Mick Jagger and his girlfriend, Marianne Faithfull. The two couples even traveled together to Morocco.
- Yves Saint Laurent -- The famous fashion designer crossed paths with the Getty family, only to describe them by alluding to the title of an F. Scott Fitzgerald book, The Beautiful and Damned. (Sounds about right.)
- Elizabeth Taylor -- Getty's sister, Aileen Getty, a well-known AIDS activist, was once married to Elizabeth Taylor's son, Christopher Wilding. Interestingly, the two had to wait to take their vows because Getty Sr.'s will stipulated that Aileen would be disinherited (and lose $100,000 annually) if she married before she turned 23.
Although his was a tragic life cut short, J. Paul Getty III clearly touched many lives and shared a special bond with his family. He is survived by his son, Balthazar, as well as his mother, brother, two sisters, stepdaughter, and six grandchildren and step-grandchildren.
Image via Bruno Vincent/Getty