Jon Stewart has his hand in almost everything, so AskMen.com's designation naming him 2010's Most Influential Man should come as no surprise.
Tonight President Barack Obama will go on Stewart's Comedy Central show just in time for the midterm elections next Tuesday. On Saturday, October 30, Stewart's Rally to Restore Sanity will be held on Washington's National Mall, joined by the March to Keep Fear Alive hosted by Stephen Colbert.
He has also hosted both the Academy Awards and the Grammies, been at the top of most women's fantasy list, and generally kicked booty at all things over the past few years.
In short, he deserved this designation. But how much do we really know about TV's wittiest, most intelligent satirist?
Here are 10 Things You Might Not Know About Jon Stewart:
- He's short: One of the most disappointing things about Stewart is his height. His personality may be large and in charge, but his stature? Not so much. 5'7" is the word on the street.
- "Jon Stewart" is his legal name: He legally changed his name from Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz to Jon Stewart in 2001.
- Daddy issues: The name change may have been in part due to his father, a physicist who was divorced from his mother when Jon was 11. According to a 2002 New Yorker article, Jon's father has never even seen him perform, though that may have changed in the past 8 years.
- Originally majored in chemistry: Crazily enough, Stewart, who attended the College of William and Mary in Virginia, started as a chemistry major. Can you imagine if he stuck with that?
- His brother is the COO of the New York Stock Exchange: Larry Leibowitz is Stewart's brother. I want to take a page from whatever their mother did! Nice work.
- Started on MTV: Remember You Wrote It, You Watch It? If not, you're not alone, but that was Stewart's 1992 MTV show. A couple years later, The Jon Stewart Show was born and he became a star.
- Animal lover: His wife Tracey is a veterinarian and the couple has a cat and two pitbulls. His cats were part of his early stand-up routine as well.
- Romantic: Jon commissioned a professional crossword puzzle maker to make a personalized puzzle for his wife, Tracey. In it, he proposed to her. They were married in 1999.
- Acting: Jon was in Almost Romantic; First Wives Club; Playing by Heart; and Wavelength, among other movies.
- He's a lefty: Both his politics and his writing lean left. He is left-handed!
Are you a Jon Stewart fan?
Image via Facebook