Mark Zuckerberg is one very wealthy -- and very hated -- man. But his decision to donate $100 million to the Newark, New Jersey, public school system may have some of his haters singing a different tune.
Zuckerberg will announce his donation officially tomorrow on Oprah Winfrey and it comes on the heels of Forbes announcing that the young billionaire is the 35th richest person in the world.
Facebook has made him a very wealthy man. He is estimated to be worth about $6.9 billion while his colleagues, co-founders Dustin Moskovitz -- the youngest billionaire at 26 -- and Eduardo Saverin, also made the list.
Lucky boys! However, the timing may be fishy. On October 1, the movie The Social Network, based on Ben Mezrich's book The Accidental Billionaires, opens, and it's said to be quite damning of the oft-criticized Zuckerberg.
So, is this a publicity stunt?
The Newark public schools are among the worst in the country and Zuckerberg's donation will make a huge difference. Regardless of whether he has sold our personal information or cut his friends out of the business or any of the other accusations that make people hate him.
Or maybe the haters are just jealous. Maybe he isn't such a bad guy after all. Here's some evidence:
- Close to family: Zuckerberg has three sisters (Randi, Donna, and Arielle) and is close to all three as well as with his mom and dad, Karen and Edward Zuckerberg.
- He's a kid: At only 26, Zuckerberg has a lot of growing to do. He may have done things in the past that annoyed people, but he was under 25 when he did most of them. He still has maturing left to do.
- He works hard: He went to Exeter and to Harvard. He founded Facebook. He was a child prodigy who was designing computer software before he was 11. The guy is creative and smart and a hard-worker. Those are impressive qualities, like him or not.
- He is shy: Zuckerberg isn't a loud, brash, go-getter, but a shy, quiet person who doesn't like the spotlight. According to the New Yorker: "Asked if he’s the same person in front of a crowd as he is with friends, Zuckerberg responded, 'Yeah, same awkward person.'"
- He has been with the same woman for 7 years: The guy is a 26-year-old billionaire and could have any woman in the world. But he has been with the same woman for seven years -- a med student in San Francisco he met while he was at Harvard. Say what you want about him, but loyalty and commitment are decent qualities.
What do you think?
Image via Facebook.com