The FCC's days of ruling the airwaves with an iron fist are over.
George Carlin's seven dirty words are back on TV and radio thanks to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that the FCC's current indecency policy "violates the First Amendment because it is unconstitutionally vague, creating a chilling effect that goes far beyond the fleeting expletives at issue here."
So why does the FCC have its panties in a bunch anyway?
Warning: much cursing follows. But it's OK, the Second Court of Appeals told us so.
1. Cher at the 2002 Billboard Music Awards accepted a Lifetime Achievement award with this: "People have been telling me I’m on the way out every year, right? So fuck 'em.”
Explosiveness on a scale of 1 (lame) to 10 (shame): 4. Does anyone actually watch the Billboard Awards?
2. Nicole Richie at the 2003 Billboard Music Awards went off script and asked: “Have you ever tried to get cow shit out of a Prada purse? It’s not so fucking simple."
Explosiveness: 3. Richie was in the midst of her fleeting Simple Life fame that proved the only way she was palatable was mucking around in cow shit. It's to be expected.
3. Bono at the 2003 Golden Globes said of U2's win for Best Original Song in a Film: "This is really, really, fucking brilliant."
Explosiveness: 5. Could anything sound bad in an Irish accent? Then again, word has it kids actually watch that show (so Mom doesn't have to watch alone, but still). Oops.
4. Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake enact Nipplegate -- aka the wardrobe malfunction -- at the 2004 Super Bowl.
Explosiveness: 6. She's Janet and she's nasty in front of millions of TV viewers. But really, kids are supposed to have seen this much skin for quite a period after birth -- it's just a nipple folks. We all have them (some of you have three).
5. Survivor contestant Twila Tanner on CBS's Early Show in 2006 described another contestant as a "bullshitter."
Explosiveness: 1. Has the FCC watched Survivor? They're all bullshitters. Especially this guy.
6. NYPD Blue characters say bullshit.
Explosiveness: 1. Truly warping to any American: seeing Dennis Franz's naked ass. Yes, we said ass.
Image via Mike Licht, NotionsCapital.com/Flickr