General Motors is recalling 1.5 million trucks and SUVs worldwide because of a problem with a faulty windshield wiper fluid system that may lead to fires. So far, there have been five fires reported, but no crashes or injuries.
GM says it will disable the heated water system module and pay car owners and leasers $100.
The GM vehicles that have been recalled:
- 2006-2009 model year Buick Lucerne, Cadillac DTS, and Hummer H2
- 2008-2009 Buick Enclave and Cadillac CTS
- 2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT
- 2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe
- 2007-2009 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL
- 2007-2009 Saturn Outlook
- 2009 Chevrolet Traverse
The company said customers will receive recall letters this month but they can contact their dealer to make an appointment to have the heated washer system removed.
Owners can also contact Buick at (866) 608-8080; Cadillac at (866) 982-2339; Chevrolet at (800) 630-2438; Saturn at (800) 972-8876; GMC at (866) 996-9463; and Hummer at (800) 732-5493.