Looking to save money when you're shopping online? Well, today Barry Boone, founder and CEO of CurrentCodes.com and DealHunting.com shares with us his 7 Tips for Saving Money Shopping Online.
I love this. Any excuse to do more shopping online...
7 Tips for Saving Money Shopping Online
by Barry Boone
- Always search online for a coupon or promotional code before checking out. Getting a coupon or promo code only takes a few seconds and could save you anything from free shipping to 50% off or more.
- If you know the exact product you want to purchase, it pays to visit several online retailers to get the best price.
- In general, it is far safer to use a credit card than a debit card for shopping online. Most debit cards do not offer the same level of safety that a credit card does, and when an unexpected or erroneous charge shows up on your debit card, the money is taken from your bank account and you can end up with bounced checks or other issues before you realize the problem has occurred.
- Always be sure that the final checkout screen shows the correct items, quantities, and pricing before you submit your order.
- Some merchants are required to collect sales taxes in your state while others might not. It can pay to check several online retailers if the merchant you're about to purchase from wants to charge sales tax.
- If you're an eBay shopper, be sure to search for an eBay coupon first, especially if you pay by PayPal. eBay sometimes issues coupons that are valid for purchases made on their site with PayPal. This is especially true near the holidays.
- Pay close attention to shipping charges. Some retailers make up their low prices by padding the shipping, so you want to be sure you're getting the lowest possible overall price.
I totally love #1. I try to remember to seek out promo codes whenever I shop online. I can almost always find free shipping, if not a discount that makes up a more significant discount. Great tips, Barry.
Are you a big online shopper? How do you save money?