Photo via Oh So Crafty
Ever feel like Valentine's Day is just another one of those Hallmark holidays? Well, then why not, instead of buying your sweetie an ordinary paper card, look for ways to give back while expressing your love!
Here are five ways to give back while celebrating Valentine's Day this year.
5 Charitable Ways to Celebrate Valentine's Day
- Go for a walk: Give a low-impact gift to Mother Earth this year and take your honey for a romantic walk instead of exchanging gifts. Make sure to hold hands and talk about all things lovable (like those loud kids running ahead of you!).
- Buy fair trade gifts: Shops like Global Exchange work to provide low-income artisans and farmers with a living wage for their work. Love these His + Hers alpaca scarves, this handwoven silver chain, and chocolate is always good.
- Skip the cut flowers: Give houseplants, succulents, or starts from your own garden instead of buying cut flowers that must be shipped around the world. Houseplants improve the air in your home. Specially made terrariums are also wildly popular and fun gifts for kids too.
- Volunteer: Head your family on down to your local food bank or put in some time at the soup kitchen this February 14th. Giving the gift of a full belly to people in need is love.
- Give love to the forgotten: Make arrangements to drop off Valentine's goodies and decorations at your local elderly facility or children's home. Make some Valentine's Day garlands to spread around.
Are you opting for a more charitable Valentine's Day this year? Tell us your plans.