Planning a home renovation project? Check out This Old House's list of the top 5 remodeling mistakes. Avoiding these blunders up front could save you thousands of dollars in the long run...
1. Ignoring your instincts when hiring a contractor: If you don't like 'em, don't hire 'em, even if they come highly recommended. Also, don't DIY if it's going to be a huge project.
2. Getting bids without specs: Be sure to account for each and every detail of the project up front—that way you won't be surprised by hidden costs.
3. Losing sight of your dream: Avoid impulses with your remodeling projects. Start with a practical plan that you know you can afford, and do your best to stick to it.
4. Changing your plan halfway through: This can lead to costly time delays and budget overruns.
5. Ignoring the hidden things: What's behind the walls and under the floors is just as important as those things you can see.
Have you ever made any of these remodeling mistakes?