Thom Filicia of Dress My Nest
I heart cute designer Thom Filicia. Don't you? We go way back, Thom and me—all those late-night Queer Eye marathons. *sigh*
Well, Thom's here with us today to graciously provide some of his simple Home Decorating tips.
5 Home Decorating Tips from Designer Thom Filicia
- Mix timeless with timely. See how Thom mixed the classic sofas with the modern dining tables and director chairs in the photos below? Mixing styles totally works!
- Color your world! Pick colors that suit your personality, not ones that are "safe." I'm personally loving the dark pink on those walls!
- Be well-read. "I love the idea of surrounding yourself with things that you're interested in, whether it be books, photographs, etc.," says Thom. Layering your room with books is a great way to add depth, color, and visual texture. Try stacking a pile of books for a unique side table.
- Decorate within your means. In this economy, a lot of us feel that decorating is the last thing we want to spend our hard-earned money on. "The key is to be honest with yourself about your budget," Thom advises. "We can now be more creative than ever with our design and find those great deals. Invest only in quality pieces that you'll use for several years." He also urges taking old furniture and slapping on a coat of paint for an instant new look.
- Get creative with family space. Is it possible to balance chic design and motherhood? "Yes!" exclaims Thom. "Embrace the idea that the kids are there and give them their own space; make them feel like part of the design process." Thom also suggests using bright colors in kids' areas for an attempt at camouflaging those Legos that are no doubtedly strewn across the floor. "Take a look at your child's classroom. It can be quite inspiring." Notice the cubbies and the different sections for the kids? Try incorporating those same ideas into your home. Thom does warn against going overboard with themed rooms. "Keep in mind that kids are only going to be that age for a short amount of time, so don't make it time-locked." Use a smart backdrop that can grow with your child's constantly changing style...Your daughter is not going to be love Dora the Explorer forever. Use accessories or sheets/blankets to bring in those themes. They're easily changed out.
Hopefuly with these tips, we can make our rooms look (almost) as fab as the ones Thom created for the women over at ABC! For more Thom, catch him on Dress My Nest and check out his book Thom Filicia Style.
And as if being a top designer and host of the hit series Dress My Nest isn't impressive enough, the modern-day Renaissance man recently collaborated with Kimberly-Clark to kick off The View's Room-A-Day Giveaway sweepstakes.
Along with styling up the dressing rooms behind the scenes of The View, check out how Thom transformed the rehearsal room.
Rehearsal Room Before, Credit: ABC/Donna Svennevik
Rehearsal Room After, Credit: ABC/Steve Fenn
Make sure to enter the Room-A-Day Giveaway sweepstakes! You just might win $25,000 toward a room makeover. That'd be sweet.