A garden is an amazing wonderland for children. There's so much to learn from plants, from smelling, touching, growing, and even tasting them. But not all plants are friendly to kids. Especially if you have a curious baby or toddler exploring your yard, you'll want to be extra watchful of them when they're near plants that are poisonous.
Keep in mind, nature has its own defense mechanism to help protect your kids. Babies and children are extra sensitive to bitter tastes and will usually spit out toxic plants they taste, says landscaper Lisa Cangialosi of When In Bloom.
A much more dangerous toxic threat to kids are the chemicals you use to treat your garden in the form of pesticides and fertilizers, according to Cangialosi. She says parents should avoid treating their lawns and gardens with those, as they pose a much bigger risk than many people realize. And houseplants tend to be more toxic than garden plants, Cangialosi says, so keep them far out of reach of children -- and do some research on whether the kind you have at home could be dangerous. Better Homes and Gardens' list of poisonous house plants is a good start.
As for your outdoor plants, fence off what you can in your garden and just keep a close eye on your babies and toddlers, she advises.
Parents should be extra careful of these 10 common garden plants that could be fatal to kids if they're ingested, according to the Texas State Department of Health and the National Safety Council.
Images © trigga/iStock.com; ©iStock.com/MaxFx