It really doesn't matter how well off you are -- it's pretty safe to say that every single one of us could probably be a little bit more diligent about saving some of our hard-earned cash versus spending it at every chance we get.
Sure, having nice things, taking vacations, and dining out at restaurants multiple times a week is fun, but having a cushion set aside "just in case" is definitely something we should all work toward.
But when it comes to just how far some people will go to save a buck -- be it by pure necessity or plain frugality -- let's just say some are a bit more creative about it than others. While there are plenty of us who are comfortable with the standard "10 percent of your paycheck goes into savings" rule, that simply isn't financially savvy enough for others.
Here are eight of the craziest things people have done to save a buck.
- Rationing toilet paper -- One mom in Great Britain only allots six sheets of toilet paper per family member per use (which must get pretty interesting after spicy meals. Just sayin' ...). She also reuses her tea bags three times.
- Adopting the "family cloth" -- Believe it or not, some folks opt to use a "family cloth" versus using toilet paper at all. And yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. Reusable cloth squares to, well -- you know. (OMG!)
- Foraging -- Instead of stocking up on produce at the grocery store, some moms go berry picking, pick dandelions from the backyard weeds, or even use purslane in salads.
- Hoarding fast food "freebies" -- Hey, no one will notice if you grab a handful or two of ketchup packets every time you're at a fast food joint, right? Some people take them as often as they can and fill up their bottles at home versus buying new ones.
- Frugal flushing -- Yep. As in there are people who will use a bottle to do their business in during the day so that they don't flush their money down the toilet over and over again, so to speak.
- Going Freegan -- In a nutshell, you basically live off of other people's trash. The end.
- "Borrowing" baths -- Some folks opt to use the showers at the gym, workplace, or even at a friend's house to avoid shelling out the money for their own water at home.
- Gassing up by the drop -- This one requires some time and a bit of a stalker mentality. Instead of purchasing gas, some simply jiggle the handle to get the few drops leftover from the last person who pumped. (I'm guessing you have to do this over and over and over again.)
What is the most outrageous thing you've ever done to save money?
Image via Images Money/Flickr