Yes! It's almost that magical time of year again. No ... not the holidays, or at least not exactly. I'm taking about the time when the Elf on the Shelf® returns and we finally have something else to bribe our kids to be good use as an incentive to encourage good behavior from our kids.
In my household, "Elfie," as he's so appropriately named, arrives at some point during the Thanksgiving weekend -- and he seems to find a more creative mode of transportation each year.
In 2012, for example, he rode in on a dinosaur and showed up in the snow on our doorstep. He even had the presence of mind to ring the doorbell -- something which absolutely delighted my son.
But while we're pretty good about being creative when it comes to how he makes his entrance, coming up with unique places to put our Elf on the Shelf® day after day does prove to be a little bit challenging.
And that's why I've done some brainstorming and research in an effort to get a little more creative this time around. That being said, here are 10 fun and clever places I'm really hoping will delight my kiddo.
- Hanging from the ceiling fan -- Oops! He somehow managed to get caught up there while trying to position himself for the best possible view of what's going on in the living room below.
- In the driver's seat of the car -- Hey ... Elfie figured he'd drive himself to the North Pole for a change -- and then he fell asleep and forgot to come back into the house.
- In my purse -- OMG. Everything else under the sun is in there, so why wouldn't an elf want to rummage through it?
- In the mailbox -- Every day, my son loves to help me retrieve the mail. He'll be so surprised when he comes home from school and opens up the mailbox to see a very special delivery!
- In the shower -- Who says elves don't need to hose off once in a while too?
- Roasting marshmallows -- Love, love, love this idea from Pinterest of the Elf on the Shelf® sitting in front of a candle ready to get his s'mores eatin' on.
- Stuck in a candy bag -- Yet another way to get rid of any candy leftover from Halloween. Have your elf get a sugar craving he can't resist!
- Having a midnight snack -- I can't decide if it would be cuter to stash Elfie in the fridge sampling dinner leftovers, or in the pantry eating a bag of chips. Hmm.
- Sledding down the banister -- I mean ... it doesn't get much cuter than waking up in the morning to find an elf using your staircase railing like a ski slope.
- In bed -- And no ... not his own little bed made out of tissues. I'm thinking tucking him in next to my son before he wakes up will be just priceless!
Where are some of your favorite places to put your Elf on the Shelf®?
Image via Mary Fischer
The Elf on the Shelf® is a registered trademark of CCA & B LLC.