I love this time of year for many reasons. The cool, brisk air that brings relief from that unrelenting summer heat. The beautiful colors as the leaves change. But what really makes autumn great is Thanksgiving. It has to be the best holiday of the entire year and here's why.
More from The Stir: Thanksgiving Traditions Every Family Should Incorporate Into the Day
- It's the one time of year you are supposed to eat until you explode.
- Getting the whole family together.
- Watching football ALL DAY!
- You don't have to give anyone gifts to make them happy.
- Deep fried turkey. It's out-of-this-world delicious.
- Black Friday. Black Friday. Black Friday.
- You are forced to think about what you are grateful for.
- It's the official start of the holiday season.
- A day off work for (almost) everyone you know.
- Sweet potato pie.
- Every single type of alcohol goes great with dinner.
- No one will judge if you need to unbutton your pants or change into sweatpants after the meal.
- You aren't expected to leave your house the entire day (if you are hosting dinner).
- If you are cooking, everyone is more than happy to run out for any last-minute ingredients you may have forgotten.
- The weather is AWESOME because it's not quite winter and it's much cooler than the steamy summer.
- Leftovers will keep the family fed for days. Translation: NO cooking for awhile.
- The unforgettable cuteness of the "kids' table."
- Cranberry sauce -- canned or homemade.
- Everyone is in a good mood.
- Debating who should get the wishbone.
- You are expected to break your diet.
- A nap after dinner is perfectly acceptable for grownups too.
- The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
What do you love most about Thanksgiving?
Image via D. Sharon Pruitt/Flickr