Hello, my name is Mary, and I hate -- make that absolutely LOATHE -- bugs, especially when they somehow manage to enter my house instead of staying outside where they belong.
It never fails. Every year somewhere between the end of spring and the beginning of summer, those disgusting little creatures known as ants show up in my kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and every space in between. I swear it's like they come out of the walls or something -- and every year I vow that instead of rushing to the store for dozens of traps, I'll make sure my home is protected the following season so I don't have to deal with them again.
But you know how that story goes: saying and actually following through with a promise are two different things. I'm saying it one last time -- ants will NEVER enter my house again.
More from The Stir: How to Get Rid of Ants, the Non-Toxic Way
Nor will any other insects, for that matter -- because I plan on following these 6 tips for keeping pests out of the home from here on out.
- Clear the clutter -- Uh-oh. Major fail. Did you know that clutter is a breeding ground for bugs? Me neither. Time to get organized. Sigh.
- Seal windows and doors -- Small pests, like ants, are smart and will literally sneak in through the cracks. Do an inspection each year to make sure there aren't any gaps lurking in your doors and windows that may invite unwanted guests inside.
- Use chalk -- Um, you have sidewalk chalk in your garage, right? Get this one -- if you draw a barrier around your house entrances with chalk, insects like ants and slugs will be repelled by the calcium carbonate. Who knew?
- Clean the kitchen -- We all leave dishes in the sink and food on the counters from time to time, but that's basically an open invitation for pests. Get in the habit of cleaning and disinfecting every single time you make a meal -- don't even leave a mess for an hour or two.
- Tidy up the yard -- Ugh. Apparently mulch, leaves, and garden debris are just as attractive to bugs as the remnants of your dinner is. Sure, yard work is a pain, but it's worth the extra effort to keep the pests at bay.
- Keep trash cans outside -- Yep. If they're in your house, the bugs know it, and they want to have a party in them. Seems like a no-brainer to keep them outside, right?
Do you have any tricks for keeping pests away?
Image via Public Domain Photos/Flickr