There are times in my life that I have been the most hated person on the plane. Just about every mom knows this feeling. You can see the daggers shoot out of other passengers' eyes as soon as they spot you have a baby in tow.
People just hate flying with kids. It's a mix of annoyance and fear as they pray you don't take a seat anywhere near theirs. It's as though you've ruined their day just by the fact you exist. I'll admit that once upon a time, I used to groan at the realization that a mother and child were to be seated in my row. It's natural not to want to be disturbed. But kids aren't the only irksome seatmates. In fact, I say there are 10 types of passengers much worse than a cranky baby.
- The Foot Fiend. When you first sit down next to him, there isn't a hint there will be a problem. But as soon as the plane hits its top altitude and the fasten seat belt sign turns off, he slips off his shoes and poisons the cabin with his outrageously stinky feet.
- The Gum Smacker. It's like a cow chewing cud. And God help you if she's an incessant gum popper too.
- The DJ. You can hear every single verse as the music blares from his ear buds. You think, "It's a wonder he's not deaf," as you are forced to listen to punk rock for two hours.
- The Drunk. Clearly this guy had a few before boarding and is keeping his buzz going with the in-flight selection of booze. He smells like a frat house on a Sunday morning. It's even worse if he happens to be a chatty drunk.
- The Up-Chucker. Those air-sickness bags are there for a reason, but you just hope no one in your aisle ever actually needs one. Whether it's due to a hangover or turbulence, it's just totally gross.
- The Farter. It's like a stealth attack. You don't know where it came from, but it decimates the entire cabin.
- The Persistent Potty Goer. She gets up to go to the bathroom 10 times. She even has the nerve to indulge in the beverage service twice. If this person is in the window seat, you won't get a moment's peace.
- The Spreader. Despite the fact you are uncomfortably squeezed into the middle seat, this guy spreads out his legs, rudely invading your space.
- The Loud Talker. She's two rows away and you can still hear her. As she goes on and on about her trip or some other equally annoying dribble, all you want to do is tell her to "shut up!"
- The Petri Dish. The tissues crumpled up in his hand and the red nose are the first telltale signs -- this guy is sick and probably contagious. Great. Every time he coughs and sneezes, you envision all those microscopic germs flying at your face. Ugh!
What other annoying types of passengers have you encountered when traveling?
Image via Grant Wickes/Flickr