Ahhhhh. Don't you just love the holiday season? The chill in the air, decorations galore, plenty of cheer, and good tidings to everyone? This truly is the most wonderful time of the year -- and it really stinks that there are people out there who have to try to ruin it.
Unfortunately not everyone is inspired to do good unto others during the holidays. Instead, thieves see the season as the perfect time to scope out our homes and snatch our gifts and valuables when we're not around.
From following around delivery trucks so they can take packages right off our doorsteps to breaking into our houses after seeing a bunch of presents under the Christmas tree, we have to take extra measures right now to keep our homes and belongings safe.
Here are five tips for making sure these real-life Grinches don't ruin your happy holiday this year.
- If you're sending packages, make sure to either require a signature for delivery, or leave instructions for it to be sent back to the local office for pickup instead of leaving it on the doorstep.
- If you are going to be away, alert your neighbors and have them be on the lookout for packages that may be delivered. That way they can bring them inside until you come home to retrieve them.
- Ask relatives and loved ones to send packages directly to your office instead of your home. If you are ordering gifts online, also have those shipped to your place of business to be on the safe side.
- Wait until the last minute to wrap gifts so they aren't visible under your tree while you're out of the house. Either that, or make sure the blinds are drawn in whatever room your tree is in so thieves can't see inside.
- Trust your gut and keep a watchful eye. If you see anything in your neighborhood that looks suspicious, don't be afraid to report it. Better to be safe than sorry, right?
What have you done to make sure your home stays safe during this time of year?
Image via rhastings/Flickr