I can definitely understand why Kim Kardashian is so upset about having personal belongings taken out of her checked baggage while traveling on a British Airways flight -- but after hearing about one of the items she had stolen, I can't help but wonder why in the heck it wound up in her checked bag in the first place! Kim is grieving the loss of a pair of sunglasses that she only wore on special occasions, because they were given to her by her late father, Robert Kardashian.
What on earth was she thinking keeping those sunglasses in there? If they were so important to her, she should've placed them into one of her carry-on bags to make sure they remained safe.
I consider myself to be a pretty seasoned traveler, and I learned a long time ago that there are certain things that you should never pack inside your checked luggage under any circumstances. But since I became a mom? That list has grown considerably.
Here are 5 items that belong in your carry-on bag, not in the underbelly of an airplane.
1. Medications -- Aside from needing to keep your prescriptions and over-the-counter remedies handy for the flight, you really shouldn't pack them in your checked bags because cargo areas aren't climate controlled. Most medicines need to be stored at room temperature, so keep them in your purse or duffel bag to be safe.
2. Your Child's "Lovey" -- Whether it's a stuffed animal, blanket, or whatever other object your child may be attached to, keeping it anywhere but in your carry-on is a recipe for disaster. You're practically begging to have it lost or stolen, which will result in the temper tantrum to end all temper tantrums. Trust me, the beverage cart on the airplane isn't stocked well enough to get you through several hours of hearing a toddler scream.
3. Passports & Important Documents -- This one really should be a no-brainer, but plenty of people wind up throwing their travel documents and papers into their suitcase assuming they won't need it during the flight. But with identity theft on the rise, passports and other documents should be kept on your person at all times. (Don't leave them in the hotel room at your destination either.)
4. Jewelry & Valuables -- Guess what? TSA has the authority to inspect your luggage and go through your belongings if they see fit. And if a diamond necklace or designer watch happens to get stolen in the process? Good luck trying to prove that it was taken, and not just misplaced while you were packing.
5. Cameras -- You know all those pictures and/or videos you took of your little one with Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck on his first trip to Disney World? If you want to be able to view them for years to come to remember your trip, don't leave your digital camera or video recorder in your checked bag. If you do, you're risking your memories being stolen forever. (This is yet another reason why everyone needs an iPhone.)
What other items do you refuse to pack inside of your checked luggage?
Image via david_shankbone/Flickr