Were you relieved when your kids finally got old enough where you didn't have to do the whole baby-proofing thing anymore? Yeah, me too. It was just so refreshing to finally be able to do simple things like lift the lid of the toilet seat without unlatching that stupid little clip or leave a handful of change on the counter without worrying that my son would eat it like candy.
I am done having kids, barring any unforeseen "slips," so my baby-proofing days are hopefully gone for good. That is, unless we decide to break down and get a dog. Those of you who have furry friends apparently need to worry about "pet-proofing" your homes even if your babies are all grown up. Looks like the whole "a puppy is worse than a baby" thing has more truth to it than we thought.
While there are obvious household items pets can get into -- such as the trash, electrical cords, or shoes left by the front door -- there are a few others they can harm themselves with that you probably wouldn't think of.
Any parent with a kid over the age of 3 or so likely has an evil little thing in the house that plenty of pets would love to choke on: stray Legos. You know how you wince and cringe when you unexpectedly step on a Lego and nearly break down in tears in pain? Yeah, well imagine how that Lego would feel lodged in Fido's stomach. If you have a dog who likes to chew things, make sure that Legos (not to mention Matchbox cars) are picked up at the end of the day. Putting them away is a win-win for everyone in the house.
Another thing you probably don't worry too much about when it comes to your pets: the cords on your window blinds. Most of them are probably high enough up where you wouldn't have to be concerned with Snowball being able to reach them. But if they hang near a piece of furniture your cat likes to climb on, they may draw her little feline claws in like a magnet. Remember how you obsessed over the blinds when your kids were little? Gotta do the same thing with the cat.
One more potential safety violator you may not have thought of? Hardwood floors. If you've got them in your home, you may want to consider gating the stairs or putting a runner on them. Pets slip and slide very easily on their paws and are just as prone to tumbling down the steps as babies are. The last thing you want to hear is boom-boom-boom followed by a loud thud. That sound is never good.
Have you ever thought twice about your pet's safety in your home?
Image via certified su/Flickr