There are three kinds of clutter in every car: trash; stuff you forgot to take in the house, like CDs and mugs; and stuff that should be there, like registration, window wipes and maps. Obviously, some of the stuff just shouldn't be there at all, but what do you do to contain the items that should be there?
Organizing expert Jill Pollack Lewis zoomed in to clear things up -- and out -- of your car on Day 8 of 10 Days to Clutter Free. You're almost there!
Step 1: Save only the bare essentials
What Should Be There:
- Insurance papers and registration
- Emergency flashlight
- Roadside emergency kit, like the one from AAA
- Roll of toilet paper or paper towels
- Reusable grocery bags
- Store offers and coupons - that way you have them when you get to the store
Step 2: Rethink your car's purpose
What Should Not Be There:
- Perishable food
- A sporting goods store's worth of golf gear, tennis rackets, etc.
Step 3: Get organized tips
- Clear the junk from your trunk -- every 100 pounds adds 2 percent more gas consumption
- Gather everything you want in there into one bin, like a repurposed milk crate
- Maintain your car by keeping tires inflated and aligned to increase gas mileage
Image via Travis Hornung/Flickr