Photo by Shari AltmanDid you know June is Great Outdoors Month? What a great month to spend more active time in nature with your family. Here are some activities in the great outdoors that will inspire you to stop what you're doing and get outside.
1. Watch at least two sunrises and two sunsets.
2. Rent a canoe and explore some of your local waterways.
3. Go camping. My absolute favorite summer activity.
4. Go on a nature identification walk in your neighborhood and try to find as many different plants and animals as possible. Kids can help by making and illustrating a list of your finds. Be sure to pick up some field guides from your local library.
5. Visit a Nature Conservancy Preserve.
6. Celebrate National Get Outdoors Day.
National Get Outdoors Day National Get Outdoors Day is on Saturday, June 12, 2010. I'm planning to spend the day outside, and I hope you'll join me. Why not let each of your family members choose an outdoors activity for this day? Some possibilities include swimming in a pond, wading in a river, going on a nature hike, eating your meals outdoors, or playing lawn games.
How will you celebrate the great outdoors this month?