A family in California is grieving today after a usually routine surgery left their 13-year-old daughter, Jahi McMath, brain dead and on life support. Jahi's mother and father brought their daughter to the hospital to undergo a voluntary tonsillectomy. They had hoped the routine procedure would help with Jahi's weight gain and frequent urination.
They were shocked and horrified when just a couple of hours after waking up from her surgery, Jahi was rushed to the ICU. Eventually, due to excessive blood loss, Jahi was oxygen-deprived, which caused swelling in over two-thirds of her brain.
Potential complications are listed at the start of every medical procedure, but with something as commonplace as a tonsillectomy, which is performed on countless children annually, it seems unspeakably shocking that this could occur: The doctors pronounced Jahi legally dead.