I just started watching The Biggest Loser this season, and I have to admit, I'm completely addicted. Last night's episode had trainers Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels giving some great tips on how to order healthy food in a restaurant. Here's a re-cap of their wise weight-loss advice (don't worry, absolutely no spoilers here!):
According to Bob and Jillian, here's how to make healthy food choices when eating out at a restaurant:
- Plan ahead and look at the restaurant's menu online BEFORE you visit so you know what they have and can avoid temptation.
- Remove temptation even if it means refusing free appetizers or other specials (like chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant).
- Drink water, club soda, or unsweetened iced tea instead of alcoholic or beverages containing a lot of sugar.
- Order all dressings and sauces on the side.
- Don't be afraid to send back a dish if it's not what you ordered.
- Steaming or roasting is the healthiest way to prepare vegetables.
- Look for dishes that have a good balance of protein, healthy fat, and good carbohydrates.
- Avoid anything that's been "sauteed" or "pan-fried."
- Look for options that have been grilled, steamed, baked, broiled, or poached.
- Don't be afraid to ask the kitchen how a dish is prepared. If they can't tell you, stay away from it.
Did you watch last night? Were you sad about who went home? Who is your current favorite on The Biggest Loser?