There's lots of opportunities to be healthy in the summer now that so many fresh fruits and veggies are in season. Then again, there's also lots of temptation with beer, burgers, ice cream, and other summer treats everywhere we turn. Are we healthier in the summer? Glamour Magazine weighs the pros and cons...
Glamour's 5 Reasons You're Healthier in the Summer:
- Studies show people have higher levels of the feel-good chemical serotonin in the summer. This could mean that we are happier in the summer.
- People tend to take better care of themselves in the summer—eating right, exercising—because of the pressure to look good while wearing less clothing (shorts, tank tops, bathing suits, etc.).
- There's a lower risk of catching the flu in the summer.
- More sun exposure in the summer helps you to absorb Vitamin D, which can prevent certain kinds of cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
- Healthy fresh produce is more available in the summer.
Glamour's 3 Reasons You're NOT Healthier in the Summer:
- The chance of catching a bacterial infection increases 17 percent with every 10-degree climb in seasonal temperature.
- There's a higher risk of sunburn and skin cancer in the summer.
- Backyard barbecues and block parties can mean more temptation to eat unhealthy foods like burgers, beer, ice cream, etc.
What do you think? Are you healthier in the summer?