Everyone has a different metabolism—the rate at which you burn calories and gain or lose weight. The faster your metabolism, the faster you can lose weight. Medical experts agree that metabolism is determined by a number of predetermined factors including heredity, gender, and age. But is there anything we can change in our daily routine to try to boost our metabolism? Women's Health Magazine says yes!
According to Women's Health, here are some easy things you can do each day to boost your metabolic rate:
- Eat breakfast every morning. Skipping breakfast can cause your metabolism to slow to conserve energy until lunch.
- Drink coffee, which increases your heart rate and breathing. A recent study showed that the average metabolic rate of people who drank caffeinated coffee increased 16 percent over that of those who drank decaf.
- Drink cold water. "Cold" is key here because the body burns a few calories heating the cold water to your core temperature.
- Drink green tea. This drink contains a plant compound called ECGC, which promotes fat burning.
- Load up on lean protein like low-fat cottage cheese or chicken or sliced turkey breast. Protein helps to build muscle, which burns calories faster than fat.
- Include dairy in your diet. Calcium from low-fat yogurt, milk, and cheese helps your body metabolize fat more efficiently.
- Add spice to your meal. Chiles and red pepper flakes can boost metabolism.
- Reduce alcohol intake. Just two drinks can slow fat burning by 73 percent.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep.
Is your metabolism fast or slow?