Apparently, flip-flops can lead to a variety of disgusting- and horrifying-sounding foot infections and foot injuries. Here are some of the risks of wearing them all day, every day:
- Flip-flops can't protect your feet against germs, dirt, garbage, etc. This is particularly dangerous if your feet have cuts, scrapes, blisters, or open wounds, because it could lead to infections (like staph infections).
- The thong can irritate the inside of your toes, leading to fungal infections.
- Your toes are more susceptible to being stubbed or other injury.
- Your entire foot is exposed to the sun, which increases your risk of sunburn and skin damage.
- Because most flip-flops are flimsy and can fall off easily, they can be dangerous to wear while driving.
- Lack of shock absorption and support can cause leg, hip, knee, and lower back pain.
- Because flip-flops have no support in the arch or heel, you may be more susceptible to injuries like stress fractures, shin splints, Achilles tendons and plantar fasciitis.
- Flip-flops can cause you to trip or fall.
Do you wear flip-flops every day?