Here's an anonymous fitness question about losing weight that I'm sure is on a lot of new moms' minds:
"I have an almost 2-month-old and would like to get in shape. Are there any exercises I can do while holding her?"
Some moms enroll in special exercise and yoga classes with their babies. But there's plenty of easy ways to get fit with your baby without leaving your home...
- Balance Balls: Hold your baby in your lap and gently bounce up and down on an exercise ball. This is great for tightening abs and strengthening the core. Plus, most babies love the movement.
- Squats and Lunges: Sw33t_blond3 recommends holding your baby while doing these exercises will make it that much more challenging.
- Push-ups: Lay your baby on the floor. Do push-ups (or partial push-ups until you are strong enough) over your baby, lowering down to kiss your baby on the nose.
- Dance, dance, dance: Put your baby in a baby carrier or sling, turn on your favorite tunes, and dance with your child. This is also a great way to teach your child to enjoy rhythm and music.
- Crunches: Bmat suggests a good way to do these using your baby as resistance: "Lie on your back, feet on the floor near your back end and hip width apart, knees bent. Press your lower back to the floor. Hold the baby close to your chest, and roll up just so that you feel it in your abdomen. Then roll down."
- Walk: Put your baby in a baby carrier or stroller, and walk at a brisk pace. Make sure you are standing upright and not leaning on the stoller. Try walking on an incline or increasing your pace to make it more challenging.
Do you exercise with your baby?