Today is National Wear Red Day, and did you know that heart disease is the Number One killer of women? I've always had it in my mind that heart disease only strikes old, overweight men. But that's just not true.
So if you can this morning or tonight, put on a Valentine's Day red outfit and let other women know about women and heart disease.
Here are 5 things we can all do today to spread awareness on heart disease:
- Share the Healthy Action Badge. Post the Healthy Action Badge on your favorite sites and home pages.
- Set a goal for yourself ASAP. Go ahead and decide that starting today, you're going to reduce your risk factors for heart disease. Quit smoking, aim for a healthy weight, exercise regularly, eat right and know your blood pressure, cholesterol levels and other important numbers.
- Become a Facebook fan. Join The Heart Truth fan page. There you can find local events and get updates on the 2009 Red Dress Fashion show.
- Wear red. And take a picture of it. Takg your photo National Wear Red day and post it on Flickr and here at CafeMom.
- Click here to find out if you are at risk for heart disease. And get more info from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.
Personally, I lowered my risk of a broken heart when I split up with my ex-husband. Does that count?
How do you take care of your heart?