Presidents--including Barack Obama--are overwhelming left-handed. This tidbit has always intrigued me since I'm a South Paw myself.
While they have brilliance and charisma in common, American presidents also have the misfortune of serious health problems. In fact, it's probably safer to be a tightrope walker than it is to be president.
Surely, it's because of all that stress. Hopefully, our new president will be able to beat this trend. Obama has been known to work out a lot and watch his diet. But I also hear he was a longtime smoker. Why Do People Smoke? See what CafeMoms thought in a recent post.
Meanwhile, here is a list from Fitness of America's 10 Most Unhealthy Presidents.
10. James Monroe. Bullet wounds before becoming president, malaria, seizures, tuberculosis.
9. Theodore Roosevelt. Blindness in left eye, deaf in left ear, bullet wound, malaria.
8. Ronald Reagan. Nearsighted, smoker, prostate stones, bullet wound, hearing loss, colon cancer, skin cancer, Alzheimer's.
7. Woodrow Wilson. Hypertension, headaches double vision, multiple strokes, blindness in left eye, paralysis.
6. Andrew Jackson. Smallpox, bullet wounds, dysentery, malaria, addiction to alcohol and tobacco, lead and mercury poisoning, edema.
5. Warren Harding. Hypertension, diabetes, heavy tobacco use, overweight, heart disease.
4. Dwight Eisenhower. Heavy tobacco use, Crohn's disease, gallstones, heart attacks.
3. John F. Kennedy. Scarlet fever, measles, whooping cough, jaundice, pneumonia, appendicitis, urethritis, Addison's disease, cigar use.
2. William Taft. Obesity, sleep apnea, cardiac arrhythmia, smoker, gout, gallstones.
1. Grover Cleveland. Obesity, overeating, heavy alcohol use, cigar use, gout.
Do you think stressful jobs affect our health?