Sometimes the hardest thing about living life without gluten is finding tasty, nutritious alternatives. But you know what? Most celiacs and other gluten-sensitive people are finding more and better options every day. Now the hardest thing about living life without gluten is other people. Folks say the rudest, most ignorant things when they find out you're avoiding eating gluten. Honestly, why is this such a problem for them? Moms, has anyone ever said something like this to you?
1. A little bit won't hurt you. How the hell would you know?
2. There can't be THAT much wheat in that soy sauce. Do you really want me to test that theory of yours?
3. They said on the news that eating gluten-free isn't a good way to lose weight. For the 1000th time, I have a food allergy. I'm not trying to lose weight!
4. But what do your kids eat? Do they have to go gluten-free, too? My kids eat whatever they can find on the forest floor when I send them out on their own to forage for food, obviously. (Eye roll.) My kids can eat anything their little digestive systems can process.
5. Oh yeah, that's really popular these days. Right -- trust me, I'd eat the cake if I could.
6. Is gluten-free the new Atkins diet? No. Gluten-free is the new way for me to stay alive.
7. What happens if you eat gluten? Um, do you really want me to describe it?
More from The Stir: 6 Ways to Eat Gluten-Free at Restaurants Without Getting Sick
8. What!?! You can eat potatoes!? That's totally cheating. You don't really know what gluten is, do you?
9. Oh no, so you're one of those glu-tards. Yeah, way to nail two different insults with one portmanteau. You're classy.
10. Yeah, I tried going gluten free once and I didn't feel a thing. I think it's all a croc. No honey, not feeling a thing is the point. It's feeling something awful that I'm trying to avoid.
11. AFTER I was invited to dinner, promised that gluten-free wasn't a problem, and was about to take a bite: Oh, but there's just a spoonful of flour in there. It isn't a problem, is it? Not at all -- is it a problem if I spend the rest of the evening monopolizing your one bathroom?
What's the worst thing anyone has ever said to you about being a gluten-free mom?
Image via Christopher Reilly/Flickr