My name is Emily, and I'm a coffee addict. It's not all that bad, really. I just like to pour myself a solid cup of Joe every morning before I head out the door. And I like the smell. And the taste. And well, I feel weird if I don't have some java.
Does this scenario sound familiar? Well if it does, you're in luck. Because get this: coffee actually has loads of benefits, health benefits, outside of just bringing alertness to your day-to-day.
Check out these 5 coffee health benefits, here:
1. Coffee can help fight depression: If you drink four or more cups of coffee a day, you're 10 percent less likely to be depressed than non-coffee drinkers, according to a study from AARP and the National Institutes of Health.
2. Coffee can aid in weight loss: According to the ever-so-thoughtful Dr. Oz, coffee can help you lose weight by burning fat fast, without extra diet or exercise. Not just any coffee, though. We're talking about green coffee, made of coffee beans that have not yet been roasted.
More from The Stir: Coffee Made With Butter Could Be the Ultimate Weight Loss Secret
3. Drinking coffee lowers type II diabetes risk: According to Science Daily, those who consumed three to four cups of coffee daily were found to have a 25 percent lower risk of developing type II diabetes.
4. Drinking coffee may lower your risk for skin cancer: In a study from Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital, women who drank three or more cups of coffee each day were much less likely to develop skin cancer.
5. Coffee lowers your risk of death: Wow. This is a HUGE one. According to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, those that drank three or more cups a day had a lower risk of death. And get this -- it doesn't matter if the coffee is regular or decaf!
Are you a coffee drinker? If not, would you try it knowing all of these facts?
Image via RF Pictures/Corbis
Going to baseball games
Riding bike rides in the nice weather
Playing outside after work/school
Going for walks outside