Fashion Police's Kelly Osbourne has lost and kept off 70 pounds (whoa!) since 2009, so it's no wonder that every time she talks about how she did it and how she's managed to stay so fit, our ears perk up. And unlike some Hollywood health nuts (yes, I'm looking at you, GOOPy Gwyneth!), Kelly usually sounds pretty down to earth ... Like she's juggling a lot of the same food and exercise issues as the rest of us. And as a result, she seems to always switch up her routine.
She spoke recently with SELF magazine about what her healthy lifestyle looks like these days. Here, five awesome strategies Kelly uses every day to stay slim, strong, and happy ...
- Her workout: Kelly reveals she gets a "solid half hour" of cardio daily, usually intervals on the treadmill, and whatever else she feels like that day -- like "weights, yoga, or Pilates."
- But her real fitness obsession is ... "I have a Hoopnotica hula hoop. I use it every day, it's made my arms stronger, and my waist has gone down two inches."
- Her healthy eating trick: Kelly stacks her highest calorie indulgences in the morning, likely to maximize her ability to burn it off over the course of the day. "I eat my fattiest meal in the A.M. If I’m craving pizza, I’ll have it for breakfast, salad for lunch, and oatmeal for dinner.” Smart.
- Her secret to motivating herself to go to the gym: "I dress up for the gym. That way, when you see your reflection in the mirror, you're like, 'Oh, I look cute!' Not 'get me out of here!'" Ha! Clearly her gig as a Fashion Police host extends to her fitness routine, but she makes a valid point. Feeling like you look good at the gym definitely drives you to keep going more than feeling sloppy.
- How she maintains positive body image: While it's easy to worry that you don't have your friend's abs or a movie star's metabolism, Kelly realizes thinking that way is simply not productive. She told SELF, "I don’t compare myself to anybody else. It’s OK to have a healthy envy and look up to somebody and set goals, but you have to realize that you’re never going to be exactly that person. Wishing you were Angelina Jolie or J.Lo isn’t going to change the fact." Go Kelly!
Which of Kelly's tips -- if any -- do you follow or are you intrigued by?
Image via The Heart Truth/Wikimedia