I hate to use the term "bikini season" (ugh) but it IS almost here. Don't be insulted -- hey, I think you're beautiful just the way you are! For reals. It's what's inside, not outside, that counts. And so on and so forth. But I also know that pretty soon you'll be standing in a fitting room trying on a bikini, looking at your reflection in the mirror under the harsh lighting ... and I know you're gonna be all down on yourself despite your many lovely qualities if you don't do a little pre-season prep.
Guess what else I know? (EVERYTHING. Ha!) I know you have like, no time in life. At all. Like, it's all you can do to remember to buy toilet paper. But no big deal, because if you have 5 minutes every day (yes, you do!!), you can firm up those abs right quick. Yes!! Bring it, bikini season! Are you pumped?! Can you at least pretend?
Kidding. Here are 5 easy ways to tone your tummy in 5 minutes:
1. The Twist: Stand with feet wide apart in a semi-squat position, holding a dumbell in front of your waist, one end in each hand, elbows bent by sides. Keeping hips squared and elbows next to ribs, rotate torso to right, then left to complete 1 rep. Do 3 sets of 30 reps.
2. The Twisty Sit-Up: Lie face-up, arms overhead. Tighten abs as you sit up, bending knees and twisting torso to right as you extend arms past knees. Repeat on opposite side. Do 20 reps.
3. The While You're Sitting at Your Desk: Gently suck in your belly, then breathe without allowing your abs to relax. Do this for 30 seconds. Repeat five times.
4. The Tailbone Tilt: Lie on your back, arms stretched straight over your head and legs fully extended and crossed in the air. Exhale and raise your tailbone, then slowly lower as you inhale. Repeat 30 times.
5. The Swizzle Stick: Lie faceup with your hands behind head, elbows bent out to sides, and legs extended directly up, squeezing a yoga block between your thighs. Curl shoulders off floor and rotate torso to bring left elbow toward right. Return to center and repeat toward left. Do 2 to 3 sets of 20 reps, alternating sides.
YAY! You're awesome!
Are you ready for/dreading bikini season?
Image via lululemon athletica/Flickr